Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Noir Reviews: Transformers Generations Autobot Drift




Good god. Look at that smug bastard. It's as if he knows his toy is good, and doesn't give a damn what you think.


I picked this guy up from Target the other day, and was kind of pleased with him. His alternate mode is a sort of race car, covered in "ancient Cybertronian symbols." I could describe it more, but I'm a lazy jerk. It is white though.

His robot mode is so very samurai that it hurts. Or ninja. I can't really tell. Look at the freaking picture, you can tell. He comes with three swords, two tiny ones and one huge ass one that is about the same height as drift himself. It is also covered in "ancient Cybertronian symbols."

Overall, the figure is nice. It seems to have a bit of trouble standing under its own power, which tends to lend itself to posing issues. The two tiny swords fit in sheaths on his sides, and his huge ass sword sits on his back when not in use. The transformation itself is clean and complex without being annoying, a rare quality to find these days.

So yes, I love this toy. But I don't like the character. Oh god, do I hate this guy. He's like a bad fanfiction character come to life. He happens to be a Decepticon that for some reason got tired of being awesome and cutting people's heads off, so he became tormented, joined the Autobots for mysterious atonement reasons, and now cuts off even more heads than before. Go Drift! And does he really need three swords? Unless he can wield them all at once, they're kinda overkill. He's not even part of the Transformers universe originally. IDW comics created him for their comics line, then quickly devoted their issues to polishing Drift's ego every chance they got. I've seen this guy in so many anime and manga already, he doesn't even have the common shtick of being kind of a pansy or goofball once he switched sides.

You hear that Drift? even Kenshin is better than you. And I hate Kenshin. I will enjoy your toy, but you sir, are dead to me.

And I'm pretty sure that your "ancient Cybertronian symbols" are Japanese. Way to be a weeaboo.

No comments:

Post a Comment